The Apostle Paul wasn’t dealing with COVID-19 when he wrote Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.” Yet, his words are good counsel.
What if we take Paul’s words to heart? We can spend our time thinking about what we cannot do, how the world has changed, and how it used to be, or we can decide to turn our focus to what we can do.
At Y-Malawi we choose to be proactive and continue moving forward to serve the people of Malawi in this crisis. Below are some of the things our teams are doing.
- Distributed thousands of hand washing stations. With no running water, hand washing is difficult but these stations make it possible.
- The Vocational Training Center has made many thousands of masks. These are being distributed at no cost to those who cannot afford.
- Y-Malawi teams have held education training sessions for between 5 and 10 thousand people. These share basic knowledge needed to help stop the spread. Sessions help people understand the risks associated with large cultural events like marriages and funerals.
- We have distributed soap free of charge to those who cannot afford. Teams are even working on making soap at the Vocational Training Center to give more people a vocation and increase distribution further.
- With children unable to attend school, abuse in the village has reared its ugly head. Literally thousands of teenage girls are already reported as pregnant. Y-Malawi partners are holding campaigns to educate children and teens about abuse, what it is, and what to do about it.
- Our partner World Relief has taken on the role of leading and coordinating efforts for all NGO’s working in the area. This to create a synergy of efforts and improve impact.
- With children falling behind in schooling, we are taking education directly to the village with teachers visiting on a rotating basis to not only help children catch up on education lost, but to act as an advocate for those now alone.
God has given us another opportunity. This is not the time to quit, this is the time to move forward and show the world what the love of Jesus looks like. If you want to help click the button below any amount will help. May God bless you for doing so!