People often say, “I hate change.” Thing is, they really don’t mean that. There are lots of changes we like. Maybe you are old enough to remember when you had to crank open the windows in your car. Before computers, if your family lived far away you could only write them a letter that took days to get to them. Most of us are glad we don’t have to cook outside over an open fire anymore. We actually like change. It’s the adjusting to change that is sometimes difficult for us. We get comfortable. Sometimes we struggle to understand how change can be good for us.
Change is a big part of our story as human beings. The Bible talks a lot about change too. God calls all of us to change. We are called to continually be learning, growing, moving forward, changing. “Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2).
We are excited about 2023 because we believe God is calling us to big changes. The easiest thing to do would be sit right where we are. Some of these changes are uncomfortable, they are going to cause us to adapt, think differently and to really stretch. The good news is that God knows this. Even better news He has promised to be with us as we follow Him.
What are some of the changes we are praying about? Glad you asked.
- We are praying for at least 100 more sponsors for women and girls. God has done incredible things with this program, so many women helped, so many girls rescued from child marriages now back in school. Every day there are more pleading for help.
- What God has done in Nkhotakota has become known. Many are asking us to come into their villages as well. We cannot respond to all, but feel God is calling us to expand into two specific communities we are targeting.
- The Vocational Training Center has also had a dramatic impact on lives. We were able to acquire more land in 2022 so that expansion can continue. We plan to add welding, hospitality, and salon care to the skills training we are providing.
- The Chiefs Community Center is also growing. We are expanding training gardens, goat raising, and plan to build a structure for community meetings and worship.
- Home Safe House for girls is already at capacity. To help more girls we will need to add more beds, gardens and other support resources.
We have much to do in 2023. From our view in January, it seems an impossible task. Then again, how could someone cross the Red Sea? How could the walls of Jericho fall? How could God have taken us this far?
Since God is calling us, we will respond. Change is coming. God is on the move. He is reaching out to those who need to know His love. The only question is will we answer His call and be the ones to go with Him. As for Y-Malawi, we feel like our answer is the same as what Joshua told Israel. “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15).
We are grateful for all those who are making this journey with us.